Re: Proposed changes to the AUP.

  • From: doug
  • Date: Fri Sep 26 11:57:51 2003

Sure - why not; I have a letter in a safety deposit box in case of helicopters
(of any color).

I virtually never post and think (in retrospect) that a couple of my posting
were probably in violation of the AUP. It does seem that a number of recent
threads have wandered off topic (under any definition of the word). That said, I
like the content of this list, both on and off topic because I have learned so
much from it.

If the AUP stays the way it is (which is fine with me), why not just not post
individual messages that make personal attacks or are in violation in some
manner, and just kill a thread when it wanders 'too' far off topic.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Damian Gerow wrote:

> Thus spake Leo Bicknell ([email protected]) [25/09/03 17:19]:
> > Well, I've received 9 private responses to the e-mail.  7 indicate
> > support for my proposal, 2 were neutral comments.
> >
> > I post this because 2 of the 7 offered in their message that they
> > were unwilling to support my proposal on the list because they felt
> > it might get them thrown off the list.  That is an interesting
> > chilling effect I had not expected.
> >
> > Please, if you think it's a good idea and aren't afraid to post
> > step up and voice your support to help those unwilling to do so.
>
> I'll voice a public support.  And yes, I also received notice from Susan
> about my Freenet posting.
>
> What had me most confused was that I was contacted personally.  I'm sure
> everyone else in the thread was /also/ contacted personally, but that meant
> that the thread continued on.  It would be nice to have a public notice that
> the thread has wandered (or started) off-topic, and to continue conversation
> elsewhere.

_____
Douglas Denault
[email protected]