Re: Any way to P-T-P Distribute the RBL lists?

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Thu Sep 25 23:18:57 2003

At 07:08 AM 9/25/2003, Rich Braun wrote:
 But generating the
blocklist requires real-time reporting back to a central server.  Even if the
server is decentralized, it will still require a relatively small handful of
accessable IP addresses.
I seem to recall a distributed server network, something called USENET, uses NNTP for sharing data with other servers in the network... Last I heard there were over 30,000 such servers netwide/worldwide, all sharing data with one or more neighbors, automagically sharing data that is input into one system to all systems in a relatively and reasonably short amount of time.

I propose that a private spamrbl nntp server system be established. Only allow feeds from those you know, use PGP authentication for all feeds and all submissions. If there is a personally verifiable web of trust built around personally verified signed PGP keys, it should prevent spammers from infiltrating the system. Perhaps the only way you can get approved/added to the network is to be approved by your upstream or a peer, and so they are held accountable for letting you into the system.

This system could house a number BLs, each as a "newsgroup", allowing each network to then utilize the BLs that they want to implement in their network at any given time. Some of the newsgroups could be open, anyone can add a listing, others would be moderated (e.g. Monkeys or Spamhaus) and only the moderator(s) could add or remove listings.

It seems too easy. I must be overlooking something really stupid and obvious about why this won't work.

jc