Re: Any way to P-T-P Distribute the RBL lists?

  • From: Matthew Sullivan
  • Date: Thu Sep 25 17:40:53 2003

Jay Kline wrote:

The trick then will be to have as many different participants as possible,
and to have each participant share who it thinks the other participants are
(or explicitly are not). Then if you take out one node, the others are not
prevented from functioning.

Again, the problem is if you are the secondary or distribution point that is having it's turn at being DDoSed are you going to be happy with 100M of targetted crap being aimed at your ip space?

Are you going to come back online as soon as the DDoSer moves to the next target?

The problem here is the amount of DDoS traffic is significant for the upstreams to say "we're not going to carry this, fix it or we'll drop you" - except in the cases of nodes in various IX's - however there aren't many willing to put nodes in IX's (and certainly not for free).

/ Mat