AOL Proxy Servers not connecting via https

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Thu Sep 25 14:13:38 2003

I'm looking for a clueful person either inside of AOL's NetOps
or someone else that can help us.

Problem;

    Using AOL Dial-Up, through AOL Browser or MSIE
    users can connect to our web servers and our clients
    web servers via normal http with no problem.

    If they connect to a secure site (https://) they
    get 'page can not be displayed' and other errors.
    We have this issue with Linux/Apache as well as
    MSIE servers.

    Sniffing such connections, we get one of two scenerios:

    1.  A connection is opened from an AOL proxy server
        (172.151.135.3 for example) yet no data is transmitted.

    2.  A connection is opened from an AOL proxy server.
        what looks like a request is sent (580 bytes)
        and some response is sent back (5k bytes)
        Yet the clients browser never gets a website..
        The webserver logs an 'error 408' from the request,
        Which is a request timeout.

    2 test websites to try from AOL:
             https://www.krystal.net   MS
             https://www.onrope1.com   Linux/Apache