RE: Blacklisting: obvious P2P app

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Wed Sep 24 17:38:00 2003

>     Each mailserver could keep a cryptographically verified list, the
> list is distributed via some P2P mechanism, and DoS directed at the
> 'source' of the service only interrupts updates, and only does so until
> the source slips an updated copy of the list to a few peers, and then
> the update spreads. Spam is an economic activity and they won't DoS a
> source if they know it won't help their situation.

	If anyone who attempts to distribute such a list is DoSed to oblivion,
people will stop being willing to distribute such a list. Yes, spam is an
economic activity, but spammers may engage in long-term planning. You can't
keep the list of distributors secret. I'd be very interested in techiques
that overcome this problem. I've been looking into tricking existing
widely-deployed infrastructures into acting a distributors, but this raises
both ethical and technical questions.

	DS