Re: what to do about joe-jobs?

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Wed Sep 24 16:41:23 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> With the possible exception of the new California law, I've yet to
> see any case in which the benefit from nailing a spammer (in terms of
> damages, or even reduced attacks) comes even close to covering the
> amount of time it took to find and pursue them.  I doubt even the big
> ISPs recover their cost--their goal seems to be deterrence.  However
> I'd be happy to donate somewhere.com's bogus inbound traffic (we
> bounced ten million messages last year, definitely looking at more
> than twenty million this year) to the cause.

How does $250,000 sound?  :-)

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/3075271

Tracking them down can be time consuming.  It's not impossible though and
in many cases it's unbelievably easy.  Getting a judgement is apparently
the easy part.  Getting your money seems to be the hard part.  I've
thought about using Kansas's anti-spam law myself but haven't yet.  I know
very little about the legal system.  Even though my claim would be made in
Small Claims Court, I'm leery about not going about the suit in the right
way.  Kansas's law allows providers to sue as well though.  Receiving
25,000 copies of the same spam makes winning a court case quite
profitable.  We need more people that take this step IMHO.

Justin