RE: Another DNS blacklist is taken down

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Wed Sep 24 15:01:28 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Mark Segal wrote:

> I think some RBLs might get better responses from the ISPs when they stop
> taking "collateral damage gets the abuse department's attention" attitudes..
> Some RBLs cause many providers a LOT of headaches, so it is not surprising
> that when it is their turn to complain, the ISPs will just say: post to
> abuse.ddos.isp.net and we might get around to fixing it. :).
>
> Regards,
> Mark

True.  However I also subsribe those beliefs.  When an ISP knowingly
allows a spammer to sign up for network service, knowing full well what
they are planning to do with it (read: pink contracts), and ignores abuse
complaints then what other form of action is there than to use collateral
damage at that ISP?  Providers more often than not intentionally put
non-spamming customers' networks within spitting distance of their
spamming customers in the hopes that RBLs won't blacklist the provider's
networks around the spammers.  I don't want to start an off-topic flame
thread on NANOG but the merits of collateral damage have been discussed
numerous times in numerous places.  Many people won't use it.  Most don't
like it.  No one has offered another plausible alternative.  Anyhow, this
is getting OT.  Back to the topic at hand, DNS RBLs coming under the gun.
:-(

Justin