Re: monkeys.dom UPL being DDOSed to death

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 18:09:11 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 17:32 Canada/Eastern, [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:15:48 PDT, Dan Hollis said:

china seems hellbent on becoming a LAN. i see the same thing eventually
happening to networks which refuse to deal with their ddos sources.
Well.. that's all fine and good, except we first need one large player to
put their foot down and say "That's enough of this manure, we're depeering
you and blocking your prefixes till you clean up your act".

Once *one* big player does that, your "eventually happening" will be pretty fast.
In my recent experience, many, many network operators in North America and Europe who are really, really bad at tracking back source-spoofed DDoS traffic through their networks (there are also some notable, fine exceptions I've dealt with recently, who know who they are and should not feel slighted by this generality).

If transit was uniformly denied to every operator who was not equipped to deal with DDoS tracking in a timely manner, I think 90% of the Internet would disappear immediately.

This is not just an Asian problem.

(Incidentally, I think if one big player suddenly decided to throw away the millions of dollars of revenue they earn through providing transit to east Asian countries, the likely effect would be another grateful big player leaping in to take over. I don't see a future in which the well-being of users in other peoples' networks trumps income.)

Joe