Re: Verisign Responds

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 17:16:31 2003

Folks,

EL> And this in itself indicates a possible failure in our model.  When
EL> someone can do something that causes so much outrage, and we the
EL> community have no recourse, something is wrong.  Maybe we're in the
EL> realm of politics, but our implementations reflect our values.

Verisign effectively disabled an error response.  The response would not exist
in the protocol if it were not to be used.

Hence, Versign changed the protocol.

That's a technical violation of the standard, not a social or business one.

Folks are free to negotiate their own version of protocols. However, when a
provider imposes a change by fiat, they have rendered the work technically
proprietary.

The IAB and the ICANN advisory panel reports characterise the technical issues
carefully and thoroughly. They make clear that the technical and operational
ramifications of this change are massive.

/d
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>