Re: Verisign Responds

  • From: Kee Hinckley
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 15:53:28 2003

At 11:47 AM -0700 9/23/03, [email protected] wrote:
	lets try this again... why should a valid DNS protocol element
	be made illegal in some parts of the tree and not others?
	if its bad one place, why is it ok other places?
There's a simple answer and a not so simple. The simple answer is because in one part of the tree it was expected by all players up front, and in the other it wasn't. However in general I tend to agree. The things that Verisign broke (and which have cost my company several thousand dollars in lost time and unplanned programming tasks, never mind the increase in spam) are also broken by other TLDs that use wildcards. The issues weren't clear because the impact was small. Now that they are clear, those decisions should also be revisited.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/ Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.