Re: Verisign Responds

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 15:20:12 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> > > 	really? and how would that work? (read be enforced...)
> >
> > Well yes thats part of the problem. It looks like verisign doesnt care
> > what anyone (ICANN, IAB, operators) thinks. But if we can mandate via RFC
> > it for dns software (servers, resolvers) etc. Then we go a ways to
> > removing verisign from the equation. Verisign can do what they like,
> > everyone will just ignore their hijacking.
>
> 	lets try this again... why should a valid DNS protocol element
> 	be made illegal in some parts of the tree and not others?
> 	if its bad one place, why is it ok other places?

Well one point is from http://www.icann.org/tlds/ only domains classed as
'sponsored' previously had wildcards. Domains that are unsponsored including
.net and .com are supposed to operate under policy established from the global
community thro ICANN.

Also this is a specific case, .net/.com have legacy implications and no one
including Verisign is naive enough to believe that this would have been ok.

This is why they have done it in the way they have without consultation. A
number of people claim they are acting in breach of their charter with ICANN,
sure (Randy) this is a social argument, but theres technical ones as well but
they dont stand up so well in the courtroom..

Steve