Re: Windows updates and dial up users

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Tue Sep 23 13:43:01 2003

If you bought your Windows from an OEM, you're pretty much screwed because
Micr0$0ft has transferred all responsibility to the OEM, and, the OEMs don't
want to issue refunds because that costs them on their deal with Micr0$0ft.
(A questionable business practice on M$ part, at best).

However, every time I have purchased a copy of Windows from Micr0$0ft or
from a store without a computer, discovered it didn't work, called Micr0$0ft
and insisted that they deliver what they promise, they have cheerfully offered
to refund my money, and, I have always gotten my refund within 2-3 weeks of
sending them their piece of shit product.

If you're OEM doesn't refund you, the simplest course of action is to print
out the EULA you didn't agree to which says in clear text that you are
entitled to a refund from your OEM (at least the last time I looked at
one, which, was probably NT4 or W2K at the latest). Attach that to your
small-claims filing, and, have the OEM served (certified mail usually works
with corporations). It's always good to name the CEO as a party in the
suit and send the service to him personally as well as the corporation
generally.

In any case, my point is that at best, they'll refund your money. They don't
feel they have any responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

Owen

--On Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:01 AM -0400 Henry Yen <[email protected]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:02:57AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Ok then different idea, assuming that we're all agreed its MS's
> responsibility  to ensure users are patched promptly and without extra
> cost to the end user.

The problem is that while we agree, Micr0$0ft does not.  They feel they
should
have no "responsibility" whatsoever to the end user beyond cheerfully
refunding
their money if they decide to stop using Windows.
Microsoft does not issue refunds if you stop using Windows, whether or
not you were satisfied with the XPerience.

My interactions with Microsoft have never been "cheerful", which is a
state mostly reserved for New Product Launch(tm) parties and
advertisements.

Nor can one readily obtain a refund from an OEM, even if you never
use Windows and reject the EULA (http://windowsrefund.net/index2.php).
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information
Systems, Inc. Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville,