Re: Operations notification manager software

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Mon Sep 22 17:06:44 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:23:35AM -0500,
>  Justin Shore <[email protected]> wrote
>  a message of 20 lines which said:
>
> > > What software is available/recommended for NOC contact
> > > management?
> >
> > I've used Nagios (formerly NetSaint) in the past and have been very
> > impressed with it.
>
> I used Nagios and I fail to see what's the connection with the
> original question? It seems the original poster is looking for
> something like RequestTracker <URL:http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/>
> instead.

>From the original message:

> - contact information refresh (regularly verify contact
> information via electronic or triggered human interaction,
> dealing with failed notification attempts)?

I need more info here such as an example.  Verify contact info against
what?

> - complex notification (ie per-event customized notification
> by affected device/region/service, notification to
> customer-selected method based on type and urgency of
> notice)

Nagios

> - customer-friendly subscription management (including
> multiple notification methods) and notification
> archiving

Nagios

> - notification SLA's (ie re-sending multiple timed notices
> when required, tracking notifications for auditing, etc)

Nagios

> - efficiently managing multiple conduits for notification
> (email, alpha pager, text-to-voice/scripted call center, RSS
> feed, Web archives/posting)

Nagios

> - enforcing consistency in notifications (ie form-/
> rule-based notification creation and validation,
> notification review/authorization prior to distribution)

I don't know of a way to review/authorize notifications before going out
but it wouldn't exactly be hard to script and use with Nagios.

> - handling feedback from notifications (handling customer
> measuring effectiveness of notifications)

Nagios doesn't do this.  It can accept comments from admins responsible
for a given system/service but that's it that I'm aware of.  Tracking
feedback sounds more like a ticketing system to me.

> - other important features?

Nagios has numerous useful features.  One of the most useful features is
failure notification esculation.  'An email about an outage sent to the
sysadm responsible for the mail system go unanswered (ie the problem still
exists and hasn't been acknowledged)?  Esculate it.  Page the on-call
pager and let whoever is on-call call the responsible admin on the
telephone.'  Very handy feature.

IMHO I think Nagios fits most of the specifications the requesting person
wants.

Justin