Re: Operations notification manager software

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Mon Sep 22 01:31:04 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

> What software is available/recommended for NOC contact
> management?

I've used Nagios (formerly NetSaint) in the past and have been very
impressed with it.

http://www.nagios.org/

It of course has a bit of a learing curve but it's not bad at all.  Watch
your typos in config files though.  I noticed that the parser didn't
detect them well and oddball problems cropped up when made simple mistakes
(like putting a period in the wrong place or fat-fingering a declaration).
Other than that I think it could do all of what you're wanting.  I rolled
it out to the admins around the campus on my last job and I received
excellent feedback from them.

Justin