Re: When is Verisign's registry contract up for renewal

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Sat Sep 20 18:29:40 2003

On 9/20/03 6:09 PM, "Brian Bruns" <[email protected]> wrote:

> *  Root servers or any critical DNS servers should not be in the control of
> companies.  It should be handed over to Non-profit/not-for-profit orgs who
> will not be tempted to do the things Verisign has done.    We feel
> completely comfortable with the root servers being in control of a group
> like the ISC or even govt. agencies like NASA.

Of course.  Putting trust into big money corporations; look where that got
us. (Hi Worldcom, Enron, Tyco, etc.)  They have no respect for public
interest, just the bottom line.. Hell and some don't even care about that.

I don't believe in any one organization running the GTLD servers either.  I
believe giving it to two or three would be good.  That way if one seems to
do something seemingly stupid, we can effectively negate the perps and move
on.

There are lots of good organizations that can handle (and would be proud to
handle) the GTLD servers.  I don't know if I'd throw NASA in that group.
(or any government agency for that matter)

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Supercomputer:  Turns CPU-bound problem into I/O-bound problem.  - Ken
Batcher