Re: When is Verisign's registry contract up for renewal

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Sat Sep 20 18:11:35 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Blayzor" <[email protected]>
To: "Sean Donelan" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: When is Verisign's registry contract up for renewal

> Quiet honestly I'd like to see all of the GTLD servers given to neutral
> companies, ones that ARE not registrars.  Verisign is already engaging in
> lot of unfair business practices because they hold the GTLD servers for
> net/com.  The wildcard SNAFU is just one of their tactics to patch the
> financial hole since people have been switching registrars in droves.

I've had long discussions with my admin team at the SOSDG on what would be
the best way to prevent stuff like this from happening in the future.  We
came to the following conclusion:

*  Root servers or any critical DNS servers should not be in the control of
companies.  It should be handed over to Non-profit/not-for-profit orgs who
will not be tempted to do the things Verisign has done.    We feel
completely comfortable with the root servers being in control of a group
like the ISC or even govt. agencies like NASA.

There is too much at stake here for people to be playing games with TLDs,
especially ones as important as .com and .net.

Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.2mbit.com
ICQ: 8077511