Re: Verisign vs ICANN

  • From: Len Rose
  • Date: Sat Sep 20 15:56:29 2003

I have lots of dns-related activity on both systems and
within applicaitons that are broken now because I am no
longer able to differentiate between a bad domain name and
a working domain.

It's not at all minor. You underestimate what this has done,
I think.

A major change in key functionality of the domain name
system (at least for GTLD .COM and .NET) has taken place.

I know at least one voice/ip company that has been forced
to re-write portions of their phone  application because this
suddenly broke how the domain name systsem had been functioning.

To say it's all about running whois queries reveals the
depth at which you must make use of the domain name system.

I'm sure those who maintains your name servers for you,
and those who maintain your network and systems for you
probably would answer differently.

Thanks.

Len

(I won't respond publicly to this thread again I promise)

Simon Lockhart wrote:

[..]

> Sorry, the Internet is broken, because of this? I can still access the
> websites I could access before. I can still send and receive email. I can
> still FTP files from FTP servers. To "users" of the Internet, nothing is
> broken.
>
> Okay, to Internet "Experts", things are broken - their domain checking scripts
> no longer return "domain available" (why not just check whois.internic.net?).
> Some spam filtering has stopped working (I've not noticed any increase in the
> spam in my inbox). Maybe some other tools are misbehaving, but in general,
> all user-level stuff is just working as before.
>
> Not that I condone what Verisign have done - it's an abuse of monopoly as far
> as I'm concerned - but I do belive there is a lot of emotion involved in this.
>
> Simon

[..]