Re: Providers removing blocks on port 135?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Fri Sep 19 16:09:54 2003

Owen DeLong wrote:

Yes. I responded to this in a previous post. We must do what we must do
temporarily to keep things running. However, breaking the net is not a long
term solution. We must work to solve the underlying problem or it just becomes
an arms-race where eventually, no services are useful.

I agree, and as a point of fact, many ISP's allow their users to opt out of spam. The ability to opt out of port filtering is a little more difficult, but it is not impossible. Most authentication methods designed have support for telling connection equipment what security lists to use and how to treat a specific user. Some systems, like mine, do not run authentication models that support this, but I consider it very wise to change.

In my case, I will maintain a filter anywhere in the network that it is required in order to help protect the network and the users who rely upon the network. Currently, estimates show that removing port 135 at this junction would allow the current Blaster infected users to become infected with Nachi/Welchia which has more network impact. Some segments, despite blocks, have already had small outbreaks which we had to irradicate. In addition, dialups have very little bandwidth to begin with. The amount of traffic generated on icmp and 135 is currently high enough to severly cripple connectivity on an unprotected dialup account.

I do agree that it is a temporary measure. Yet, one must remember that each network has it's own definitions of temporary, drastic, and appropriate. I now return you to contacting those infected users in your network. :)

-Jack