Re: Worst design decisions?

  • From: Scott Granados
  • Date: Fri Sep 19 15:10:59 2003

Just to clerify, since I've gotten a ton of these.

I'm totally blind have been for 28 years.

Braille on walk up machines, makes good sense.  As does it on lifts and
microwave oven buttons etc. It does not make good sense on airplane lights
and it makes less sense on drive up atms.

Especialy when you think it through long enough and if someone needs to
use braille chances are they are visually impaired enough to not be able
to read the screens at all.  Thus when the atm doesn't speak back to you
as many still don't your not sure what prompt your at.

Many do speak in larger cities,  with braille makes them very useful.

But in a car again, generally the voice will be low enough, for obvious
security ; and other reasons you won't hear it over the car and surround
noise anyway.  So that someone looking over your shoulder will still be
there unless you've memorized the prompts on your local atm, a possibility
granted.

Its just a problem that hasn't been well thought out and baddly
engineered!