Re: News of ISC Developing BIND Patch

  • From: Richard Irving
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 16:26:42 2003

Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
	Hello Whoever ,
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 [email protected] wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 [email protected] wrote:
manufacturer assigned macs are guaranteed to be globally unique.
A specific enterprise reconfiguring the mac is akin to an enterprise
using RFC1918 space.
	I have to agree with Mr. Shore here .  Mac addresses are NOT
	unique from ALL manufacturers '.' .  I do beleive that there was a
	a brand (maybe not USA) that the cadr came without mac-address
	hard assigned on the card ,  You HAD to ,  using their
	configuration tool assign one .  JimL
  There was actually a fly by nighter that had one
of the earliest EISA based 100mps FD FE in the early 90's,
where ALL there cards had the SAME MAC, the people
issuing ranges had only assigned them the ONE...

 So, they burned it on  all their cards!

Really.

Obviously, you could only use one per network... :P

And, FWIW, old VAX gear had assignable MAC's....

  But, other than freak cases, the original point
is true.. today most MAC's are globally unique.

HSRP not withstanding.....

(To every rule, there is an exception, including this one.)