Re: Worst design decisions?

  • From: Ryan Tucker
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 13:54:55 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:04:47 +0000 (GMT), E.B. Dreger <[email protected]> wrote:
You have reminded me of Bay's config GUI.  I shall have
nightmares tonight.
Back in the winter of '00, I had the pleasure of working on a friend's old Bay. He was using it for a home-based ISP, and, well, I believe that it didn't want to do CIDR. Noone knew the Manager password, either, so much recovery had to occur. To make matters more interesting, this was in a garage, and the lake effect machine had kicked in. And I was being an idiot.

I don't remember the exact details (who said the human brain doesn't have incredible defense and self-repair mechanisms), but I sent out a narrative regarding the situation to a group of friends, and got the following reply back:

"""
Subject: Re: Fear and Loathing in AN-DIAG

hehe...three things a Rochester sysadmin should always remember....

1) Always make a backup,
2) Always try the Manager login,
3) Always count on lake effect.
"""

It's still on my monitor.

I did get to send off a PFY to deal with a Cray router, though. -rt

--
Ryan Tucker
Network Engineer