Re: Worst design decisions?

  • From: John Kristoff
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 12:19:11 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:53:38 -0400
"Daryl G. Jurbala" <[email protected]> wrote:

> * And how about this: Cisco: PICK A BUSINESS END ON YOUR SMALL OFFICE
> ROUTING EQUIPMENT.  Most of my less clued customer like to "help out"
> and rack the equipment ahead of time.  And it always gets done pretty
> side out.  Yeah..the side with a Cisco logo and three lights.  It sure
> does look like it should be the front, but it's useless that way.
> Maybe putting the power on that side would clue people in to the fact
> that it's basically useless to point that at the easy-access side of
> the rack.

I wouldn't consider that a design flaw.  In fact, in some environments
that may be the preferred way of doing it.  Not only will it look nice
and neat, but if the side of the box where all the connections are
located on is less accessible to humans that may help lessen opportunity
for someone to touch something they shouldn't be touching.  Unless your
devices are constantly being re-cabled, this might be considered good
design practice.

John