RE: Worst design decisions?

  • From: Daryl G. Jurbala
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 09:55:47 2003

* How about the plastic stand-offs that hold the AIM-VPN cards in the
2600 and 1700 series.  Yeah...the ones that DON'T come with your
SmartNet replacement chassis and that you have the pull the entire board
to release.

* And how about this: Cisco: PICK A BUSINESS END ON YOUR SMALL OFFICE
ROUTING EQUIPMENT.  Most of my less clued customer like to "help out"
and rack the equipment ahead of time.  And it always gets done pretty
side out.  Yeah..the side with a Cisco logo and three lights.  It sure
does look like it should be the front, but it's useless that way.  Maybe
putting the power on that side would clue people in to the fact that
it's basically useless to point that at the easy-access side of the
rack.

* PCs with built in Ethernet that is so close to a lip on the case, with
the release pointed down, that you need to use a
screwdriver/knife/whatever to release the cable.

* Lack of proper SPAN support on 29xx/35xx series switches.  Read only?
I can live with it.  No inter-vlan?  Very bad.

Does that make my worse design decision using Cisco CPE at my small
customer/remote office sites?   Hmmmm....

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel: +1 215 825 8401
Fax: +1 508 526 8500