Re: DNS anycast considered harmful (was: .ORG problems this evening)

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 08:37:39 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

: > There's an easy fix to that particular situation:  Make the first (or first
: > two) listed servers anycast, and the rest unicast.
:
: It would require a central management (or at least a central
: oversight) of the root name servers and I do not believe there is one:
: each root name server anycasts at will, without a leader saying ("A
: and B will anycast, the others will stay unicast").

Well, that's something for the root server operators to think about and
discuss amongst themselves.  I know several of them are reading this list,
and may be reading this thread.  8-)

Still doesn't help .ORG, which is 100% anycast and thus has no DNS-based
redundancy (see my experience elsewhere in this thread).

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]>