Re: .ORG problems this evening

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 01:25:07 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:50:28AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:

> tld[12].ultradns.net, the NS for .ORG, was completely unreachable for about
> an hour or two this evening, timing out on all DNS queries.  Anyone else see
> similar?  (The hosts are unpingable and untracerouteable, so I had to use
> DNS queries to determine when they were back up.)
>
> It makes me wonder how UltraDNS got a contract to manage the domain on all
> of two nameservers hosted on the same subnet, given that they were supposed
> to have deployed "geographically diverse" (or something like that) servers.
> But then, we know ICANN smokes the crack liberally at times....

	dare i say "duh",

	but ...

	ultradns uses the power of anycast to have these ips that appear
to be on close subnets in geographyically diverse locations.

	go to europe, traceroute to them, it goes to a place
in europe.

	go to asia, traceroute to them, it goes to a machine in
asia.

	in the us, it goes to one of a few geographical locations ...

	could you provide some more technical details, other than
your postulations that they have two machines on
network-wise close subnets and that is the problem?

	- jared