Re: BGP issues

  • From: Jeff S Wheeler
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 23:27:34 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:29, Peter E. Fry wrote:
> Bret Baptist wrote:
> [...]
> > Right now I have visi.com as one provider (AS8015), and Qwest (AS3908) as the
> > other.  When I look at the as-paths for my netblocks the ones from visi.com
> > look fine, 208.42.20.0/23 and 208.42.104.0/23, the ones from Qwest go through
> > visi.com and then on to us, 65.116.186.0/24, 65.121.8.0/23.  The Qwest
> > networks are the ones that I am having problems reaching hosts from or
> > getting to from other networks. [...]
>
>   It's a bit of a long shot and difficult to see, but when I see natural
> C blocks without problems and natural A blocks with, I tend to suspect
> class-based filtering.  This usually occurs if there's no less-specific
> route available, but there's 65.112.0.0/12 from Qwest covering both.
> This leaves only a few very obscure possibilities, so I wouldn't chase
> this except as a last resort.
>
> Peter E. Fry

I did a couple quick RADB queries, and I find no object for as AS30309.
In addition there are no objects for the VISI-assigned blocks you
mentioned, even with a shorter prefix length.

I would strongly recommend a visit to WWW.ALTDB.NET if you already know
how to update an IRRd database via email templates; or if not, pay your
$500 to MERIT and use WWW.RADB.NET instead. Personally, I have used both
ALTDB and RADB, and while it's obvious that "you get what you pay for",
and no one should complain if they don't like the free ALTDB service, I
have been very pleased with MERIT's responsiveness.

--
Jeff S Wheeler