RE: Worst design decisions?

  • From: Shawn Solomon
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 21:50:37 2003

The 12016 does have handles on the sides, but the documentation states
not to use them for lifting purposes.  Yeah, I laughed too, just before
realizing that bear-hugging a 16 into position takes a bit of
motivation.

It is definitely one big hunk of iron (300+lbs on the shipping invoice),
but I just couldn't understand why in the @%$$ useful handles weren't
provided.  On a side note, the scissor-jacks that came with them could
lift a house.  Heh.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps167/prod_installation_g
uide09186a0080188f38.html
--------
 Warning Do not attempt to lift the chassis with the handles on the back
and sides of the chassis. These handles are not designed to support the
weight of the chassis, and should be used only to steady and guide the
chassis while it is being inserted into or removed from an equipment
rack. To reduce the risk of damage to the chassis and serious bodily
injury, do not use these handles to lift or support the chassis.

--------