Re: Root Server Operators (Re: What *are* they smoking?)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 01:15:13 2003

> Can you also program something to do this for all root zones,
> i.e. something like 'zone ".*" { type deligation-only; };'

no.  not just because that's not how our internal hashing works, but
because "hosted" tld's like .museum have had wildcards from day 1 and
the registrants there are perfectly comfortable with them.  there's
no one-policy-fits-all when it comes to tld's, so we would not want
to offer a knob that tried to follow a single policy for all tld's.

> And make it default configuration for new bind releases...

never.  not for your example, nor for any set of tld's.  the default for
bind will be what it's always been -- to respect the autonomy of the
zone administrator/publisher.  overriding that autonomy has to be a
local act by a local name server administrator who is fully conscious of
the impact of their configuration change.  once, with "check-names", isc
was accused of "legislating from the bench".  never again.