Re: News of ISC Developing BIND Patch

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 01:11:48 2003

> I trust your assessment of the DNS techs.  But what about [their] bosses?

the ones i've met in recent years seemed like reasonable people.

> They ordered some pretty lumpy things be done with .com and .net.
> Given that track record, whats to stop them from ordering [the techs]
> from doing something equally lumpy.

root zone content is tied up in all kinds of red tape.  the root server
operators won't modify it in any way; we publish only what we get from iana.
iana and verisign and the united states department of commerce all have to
agree on changes to it.  imagine a "mexican standoff" with three people and
six guns.  with the ietf/iab as referee and scorekeeper, and the rootops as
an interested audience.  ("entertain me!")

i'll say it again.  nothing that happens in dot-com or dot-net has any
relevance at all to the root zone, or to the root server operators.