Not the best solution, but it takes VeriSign out of the loop

  • From: Mike Damm
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 14:12:41 2003

Who's up for creating a network of new gTLD servers? I'm sure it wouldn't be
too hard to reconstruct 90% of the com/net zones from publicly available
data (http://www.deleteddomains.com/newlist.shtml?cid=11673-11084 would be a
good start). Constantly farming for missed zones, and maybe even querying
the "real" servers for missing data. The updates would be a day or two
behind the "real" zones, but once you got a good number of eyeballs looking
to your servers instead of VeriSign's, you could probably convince quite a
few registrars to start sending you updates too.

I'm sure this breaks many an RFC, and has an unfathomable number of other
problems, but I see it this way: we can complain and whine about
mismanagement as much as we want, but until there is a viable alternative
available their will never be a change.

*hops into his fireproof undies* Comments anyone?

---
Michael Damm, MIS Department, Irwin Research & Development
V: 509.457.5080 x298 F: 509.577.0301 E: [email protected]