Re: Root Server Operators (Re: What *are* they smoking?)

  • From: Eric Gauthier
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 13:47:52 2003

> Since the latest zone for .net (and maybe .com according to the
> announcement) contains data that
>  * indicates existance for domains that actually do not exist, and
>  * incorrect addresses for domains that exist, but are not using the
>    name service of netSOL cum verisign,
> it is arguably not a valid zone file.  Therefore, any root server
> operators should refuse the improper zone file.
>
> We are about to empirically determine the independence of the root
> server operators.

I'm sure that 5, 10, or 50 phone calls from Nanog-ers to the FTC, Congress,
Dept of Commerce, ICANN, the US Post Office, or any other large organization
will be completely ignored in the likely wash of everyday phone calls.  We can
talk about violations of RFCs and ask them to cease this stupidity, but I
doubt that will work because there doesn't appear to be any consequences.

Verisign is a business and its goal is to make money.  More importantly,
its a publically traded company whose goal is to make its stock value go up.
So, if we're interested in having them listen, we should be targeting
their stock value.  Right now, I really can't think of a headline that
the NY Times or CNN could run that would make ordinary people understand
what's going on and encourage them to bring pressure on Verisign.  Besides,
Verisign would obviously counter with the junk in their release.

On the other hand, a headline of "Internet Providers Worldwide block access
to Verisign in Effort to Protect the Public" is very easily understood.
Verisign can say anything that they want, but the public gets the idea that
people in the know think this is such a bad idea that they took action against
it.  I'm a stupid network engineer that typically leaves the money stuff up
to my finance geek friends, but even I know that (well most of the time):

	Bad Press == Stock Go Down

So, if collectively we think this is determinental to the stability and
security of the Internet, then we should either take steps to block it
or, more importantly, issue press releases and statements to reporters stating
that we will.  I think this is the only way to effectively reverse
Verisign's poor decision.

I think its time for the Root Server operators to step up or at least say
that they are going to step up.

Eric :)