Root Server Operators (Re: What *are* they smoking?)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 13:12:05 2003

Bruce Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
> > record. Great. Just what we need... To be in an escalating war with the
> > people running the root nameservers.
>
> Please note that the people running the root nameservsers are a different
> set from the people who run the .com and .net nameservers.

True, these days, at least in part.

Since the latest zone for .net (and maybe .com according to the
announcement) contains data that
 * indicates existance for domains that actually do not exist, and
 * incorrect addresses for domains that exist, but are not using the
   name service of netSOL cum verisign,
it is arguably not a valid zone file.  Therefore, any root server
operators should refuse the improper zone file.

> Please use the slightly more accurate term 'gTLD nameservers' instead of
> tarring the 'root' nameservers with the same brush.

We are about to empirically determine the independence of the root
server operators.
--
William Allen Simpson