Re: Verisign insanity - Distributed non-attack

  • From: Rob Pickering
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 12:07:34 2003

--On 16 September 2003 16:18 +0100 Richard Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
While I completely share your concern about Verisign's behaviour, I
have a higher level concern about anything seeking to disrupt
services on the 'net.
Obviously the idea of nanog discussing anything which contributes to a denial of service is ridiculous.

What I find even more ridiculous is that ICANN, which (for now) is supposed to be managing this farce simply stands idly by hands in it's pockets fiddling with its board. It's not as if this is a surprise hijack by Verisign, they've been telling the world they were going to do this for a while.

In the meantime, everyone is left scrambling around at a technical level putting in /32 routes and DNS hacks to try and defeat it.

Up to today I've always thought that all the various alt roots were the way to insanity. For the very first time I think what passes for reality in the ICANN world may have become surreal enough that it really can't be any worse than this.

--
Rob.