Re: Change to .com/.net behavior

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Mon Sep 15 21:42:22 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	I also typed a bit too quickly.
>
> 	I'm guessing due to the uprising they've pulled this.
>
> 	I was just going to call the dept of commerce tomorrow and
> file a complaint myself.  perhaps I still will.

It appears GTLD servers A-D are running a serial number of 2003091501 and
contain the wildcard record in .com.  The other GTLD servers are running
2003091500 and don't have the wildcard record.  So, unless there's a
2003091502 floating around out there somewhere that I haven't seen, it
doesn't look to me like they pulled it.

For .net, I'm now seeing 2003091501 everywhere, with the wildcard record.
It doesn't look like they pulled that either.

In other news, Verisign has a press release on their website announcing
something called "Next Registration Rights Service," where you can place
an order to have somebody else's domain transferred to you if they ever
don't pay their bill.  The press release goes on to say that this is a
great way for holders of existing domain names to buy insurance to protect
themselves from the loss of their domain names if their bill doesn't get
paid, but apparrently only if nobody beats them to it.

-Steve

Steve Gibbard				[email protected]
+1 510 528-1035				http://www.gibbard.org/~scg