Re: Change to .com/.net behavior [Authority section]

  • From: netmask
  • Date: Mon Sep 15 21:10:42 2003
  • Restrict: no-external-archive

> % dig any rarrarrarrarblah.com. @f.gtld-servers.net.
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> com.                    2D IN SOA       a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. (
>                                         2003091500      ; serial
>                                         30M             ; refresh
>                                         15M             ; retry
>                                         1W              ; expiry
>                                         1D )            ; minimum

Unless I'm missing something here.. Why not just block root servers or
nstld.verisign-grs.com being listed as an authority?

I can not find any instance where a root server should be listed as an
authority.. I've been seeing varying results between .com and .net today.

.net  *always* has the root servers listed as its authoratitive servers

.com sometimes does.. but often its just listing:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.                    172800  IN      SOA     a.gtld-servers.net.
nstld.verisi                                                       gn-grs.com. 2003091500 1800 900 604800 86400

Blocking the Answer response isn't going to work, as you know they'll change
the IP.. However, one crappy thing for them.. When kids start DoS'ing the
verisign IP. hey can just pick any domain they feel like that doesn't exist,
and hard code it.

>From the news, Micrsoft and AOL are both fairly upset of their.. I imagine
Google probably will be too, since Verisign is teaming with Yahoo on this one,
and Yahoo is trying to revive their own engine and stop using google.

Anyhow.. What am I missing about this fix.. why won't this work?