Re: What *are* they smoking?

  • From: Mark Vallar
  • Date: Mon Sep 15 19:38:36 2003

> >> A wildcard A record in the net TLD.
> >
> >It's Verisign's return shot at the web browser "couldn't find this page"
> >searches.  Doesn't seem to have much by way of advertising yet, but I'm
> >sure that'll change.  I heard about this coming from somewhere last week,
> >though I don't recall where.  Probably Wired or the WSJ.  Verisign wants
> >the revenue that all those typos are generating.  It's just the next shot
> >in the eyeball war.
>
> This is sufficiently technically and business slimy that
> I would null-route that IP, personally.

The bigger issue is DNS troubleshooting.....what a nightmare when a query of
the *.gtld-servers.net servers does not return an error.  What happens when
they change the IP because of null-route'ing of the current IP to a
completely different /8 subnet.

Who engineered this!!!!!  Or better yet, who allowed this blatant commercial
use of the TLD servers.

</disgusted>

Mark Vallar