Re: ethernet-based temperature sensors

  • From: Bill Owens
  • Date: Thu Sep 04 11:28:14 2003

At 7:59 -0400 9/4/03, David Lesher wrote:
Argh -- $$$$

There used to be "spider" sensors that were cheap but I heard
they shut down.  What you need is something based on those "stamp"
CPU's but I donno who is making such...
I suppose if one had enough time and interest, and some Java skills, you could make something out of these:

http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/thermochron.html
http://www.ibutton.com/TINI/applications/sertoeth/

Oops, somebody's already done it:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/1048/ln/en

Looks like the total hardware cost would be around $100 for the TINI and board, and $8 for each sensor (iButton and holder). I have little time and no Java skills, otherwise it looks like a cool project. If somebody wants to develop a machine room temperature monitoring network out of them, I'd be a beta tester ;)

Bill.