Real network failure causes Was: What do you want your ISP to block today?

  • From: Ian Mason
  • Date: Thu Sep 04 10:26:09 2003

At 22:30 03/09/2003, Rob Thomas wrote:
[snip]

effects.  We all know better.  Bugs aren't restricted only to
products from Redmond, typos happen, and the performance hit can
be quite painful.
In my experience more network downtime is caused by configuration errors that all other causes together.

The best diagnostic tool I've ever had is a script I cobbled together over two hours one night. Once an hour, it simply collected all the router configs across the network, did a 'diff' between the current and last config, and if there were changes, emailed them to me, along with a TACACS+ log summary that showed who had logged into which router when.

Experience with this quickly taught me to check these summary change logs whenever a problem was escalated to me. Most times the problem was related to a config change, not an external cause. Further experience taught me to look out for one particular engineers name in the logs but that's another story.