Re: Automatic shutdown of infected network connections

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Wed Sep 03 14:43:32 2003

At 02:21 PM 03/09/2003 -0400, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
Eek. :(

Hate to rehash the responsibility debate...but shouldn't the
manufacturers/whatever slap the latest service packs on their
products that they're selling?
That would add cost. You either eat that cost or pass it on to the consumer. As price is the number one criteria for the mass market I am sure vendors are shy about raising prices and equally shy about eating into meager profits

If GM puts out a recall on their vehicles for a GE lamp.
You know its not that simple.... Changing a light bulb does not have the same potentially unforeseen and unintended consequences of installing 56MB of new code. It WILL break some things.

Vendor A laptop price = $x
Vendor B laptop price = $x+ $20

A-Laptop == B-Laptop

Given the choice between the two where one has all the service packs installed and the other for $20 less does not.... Sad to say most will take the one for $20 less as the other is "ripping me off!" Most consumers dont have a hope in hell sometimes of understanding value in the tech world and instead fixate totally on price.

---Mike