Re: Automatic shutdown of infected network connections

  • From: Omachonu Ogali
  • Date: Wed Sep 03 14:22:33 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:55:47AM -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, at 10:41am, [email protected] wrote:
> > And if you just bought a new system, it should have the big update (SP2)
> > installed on the machine already ...
>
>   Service Pack 2 for Windows XP has not been released yet.

Weird, when I go to Add/Remove programs, I see "(SP2)" next to the
hotfixes I applied, from that I assumed SP2 was out or something.

>   As of 1 Sep 2003, there are 21 post-SP1 security-related hotfixes posted
> for Windows XP.  The total download size is quite large, if you are on a 56
> kilobit modem.

Most of my updates were done on this same modem, and if I recall
correctly, most of them varied in size from 300KB to 2MB. Then
again, I haven't done a fresh XP install ever since I installed
it on this laptop so I don't know how big the initial lump is
right now.

> > ... unless you're dealing with an incompetent PC
> > manufacturer/reseller/whatever that likes to cut corners ...
>
>   Like, say, most of them?

Eek. :(

Hate to rehash the responsibility debate...but shouldn't the
manufacturers/whatever slap the latest service packs on their
products that they're selling?

If GM puts out a recall on their vehicles for a GE lamp. Yeah,
I'm sure GE takes the blame and a hit to their stock, but the
dealers go to GM (the aggregator) for the replacement and fix
the vehicles they have on the lot before another one gets sold,
right?

Subtract one level of hierarchy (the dealer, or you could leave
it in, since most system builders are rolling out their own
stores...Apple, Dell, Gateway, etc.) and you have the common
relationship of Microsoft-OEM-End User. Shouldn't the OEM be
responsible for any product coming off their shelf that's been
"recalled" up until the point of the "recall"?