Re: Automatic shutdown of infected network connections

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Wed Sep 03 11:51:20 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:20:28AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:39:17AM -0500, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> > Why in the world would you do that? the DOCSIS specification allows for
> > filtering rules at the CPE, which means you could simply block icmp echo
> > and ports 135-139+445 directly at their home network, causing no load
> > whatsoever on your network, _and_ no more infected boxes (even at 56k).
>
> The modem _is_ the CPE.  There's no load on the network; just CPU on
> the modem.  "modem config" != "CMTS config".

I think that's exactly what I said, perhaps you misread my comment.

My point was that you're rate limiting and filtering customers for no
reason when you have the ability to filter the attack vectors in a very
effective and 'clean' way. You should consider leaving those ports filtered
seeing how they're the #1 way for windows systems to be infected/hijacked.