Re: Blaster author identified, about to be arrested...

  • From: Nathan E Norman
  • Date: Tue Sep 02 12:40:14 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:59:13AM -0700, JC Dill wrote:

> (08-28) 20:31 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --
>
> The FBI has identified a teenager as the author of a damaging virus-like
> infection unleashed on the Internet and plans to arrest him early Friday, a
> U.S. official confirmed Thursday.
>
> The 18-year-old, whose name and hometown was not immediately available, was
> accused of writing one version of the damaging "Blaster" infection, which
> spread quickly across the Internet weeks ago, the official said, speaking
> on condition of anonymity.
>
> <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/28/national2331EDT0797.DTL&type=printable>

All the national news services got this story wrong Friday.  Here in
MN local news had the facts straight.  this guy is not the original
author.

As it turns out, this guy is a small-time script-kiddie.  He "wrote"
an uninteresting variant of the worm which directed people to his own
web site (!).  I'm hearing "facts" like "[Parson's} variant of the
worm infected less than 7000 computers", yet somehow he is allegedly
responsible for something like $100 million in damamges to MS.

>From here, it looks like this is the guy they're going to sacrifice as
an "example" for everyone else.

--
Nathan Norman - Incanus Networking mailto:[email protected]
  Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.