RE: dry pair

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Mon Sep 01 23:10:17 2003

Getting it to work at all can be a challenge.  Alarm circuits are not
groomed to remove stray drops that got cut at the house, not at the pole,
etc.  We looked at rolling out DSL 2 years ago using our own DSL equipment
cause sprint didn't have dslams installed.  They had conveniently pulled
their tariff for alarm circuits.  Dry pairs were $70/mo each and the install
was $100+.  When I asked them the process, they said the x-conn'd the
customer prem pair to our pair and hoped it worked.  If it didn't, THEN they
would go clean it up.

IF you can still get an alarm circuit, good luck getting it cleaned up if
bridge taps are wreaking havoc, and they will with some DSL gear.  We were
told the alarm circuits were rated for up to 1200bps.

Then again, I have another client who orders them from Sprint all the time
for OPX voice use.  As a friend of mine once observed, its who you know and
who you _____.

Eric