Re: On the back of other 'security' posts....

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Sat Aug 30 13:41:30 2003

Owen DeLong wrote:
 Again, I just don't see where an ISP can or should be held liable for
forwarding what appears to be a correctly formatted datagram with a valid
destination address.  This is the desired behavior and without it, the
internet stops working.  The problem is systems with consistent and
persistent vulnerabilities.  One software company is responsible for
most of these, and, that would be the best place to concentrate any
litigation aimed at fixing the problem through liquidated damages.
Most dDOS's come from bots. Bots are installed on all operating systems and all architectures. I'd be surprised if the packets are all spoofed. In most dDOS cases these days, they are real IP's and just a high number of bots.

The person responsible is the bot maintainer. Finding the controller medium (probably irc) is the hard part, but once done, monitoring who controls the bots isn't near as hard. Tracking them down can be abit of fun, but usually they get lazy about covering tracks at that point. A few media enriched prison sentences would be good.

-Jack