Re: Fun new policy at AOL

  • From: Omachonu Ogali
  • Date: Fri Aug 29 12:31:10 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:06:10AM -0400, Roland Perry wrote:
> Here's another tale of undeliverable email. It seems that [at least] one
> of those organisations you mention assigns IP addresses for its ADSL
> customers from the same blocks as dial-up. Which means that
> organisations using MAPS-DUL reject email from teleworkers (or indeed
> people running businesses with an ADSL connection) who run their own
> SMTP servers.

In which case, the telecommuters should use their organization's
mail servers with SMTP authentication (yes, authentication, not
pop-before-smtp).

If I'm a corporation, and you're my employee, you should be using
my VPN, not sending mail from your unsupported remote installation
running sendmail, qmail, exim, postfix, or whatever.

As for the business people, can't give you any advice there. Maybe
it's time to invest in some mail services from mail.com, Critical
Path, or maybe even your ISP.