RE: Fun new policy at AOL

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Fri Aug 29 11:09:24 2003

>> Michel Py writes
>> eating some email from no reason, having limits in attachment
>> size, you can't have a mailing list that way, etc.

> Roland Perry wrote:
> Isn't this where we started? One ISP I know decided to limit
> customers to 200 outgoing recipients a day. Great for stopping
> spammers, great for stopping anyone running a mailing list,

It is where we started indeed. Today it does not really matter if you
have 80 persons in the cc: field or if you send 80 individual emails;
the individual ones will have the same from: and the same subject and
will be blocked as well.

And yes I also send email from my mail server with a subject line that
contains the name of that drug that everyone wants to sell me or the
name of the organ that everyone wants me to enlarge because I want to
test the anti-spam system I just configured at some customer site and I
don't want that to be blocked either.

If ISPs don't want people to run SMTP servers on their DSL line they
should provide a top-notch smarthost, which most don't.

Michel.