Re: Fw: GLBX ICMP rate limiting (was RE: Tier-1 without their ownbackbone?)

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 14:10:01 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 [email protected] wrote:

> > > anyone else been asked to rate limit by the U.S. Department of Homeland
> > > Security?
> > Just about everyone with a large enough US office was asked by DHS, in a
> > public statement...
>
> Isnt there a difference between "we have been asked" and "we have been
> ordered to"?

I suppose there is, but DHS's request (order/asking whatever) was NOT in
the form of a court order... its:

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/verify_redirect.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dhs.gov%2Fdhspublic%2Finterweb%2Fassetlibrary%2FAdvisory_Attack_MS.PDF&title=Advisory+-+Potential+Internet+Attack+Targeting+Microsoft+Beginning+August+16%2C+2003+-+August+14%2C+2003

(ouch, how about: http://tinyurl.com/li0i )

and/or

http://tinyurl.com/li0s

Neither is really an 'order' so much as a 'suggestion'.. either way, its
kind of inappropriate to make this suggestion without knowing how each
operator can or could apply a fix... that is my opinion atleast.