Re: GLBX ICMP rate limiting (was RE: Tier-1 without their own backbone?)

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 13:10:59 2003

At 12:39 PM 8/28/2003, you wrote:
> Along these lines, how does this limiting affect akamai or other 'ping for
> distance' type localization services? I'd think their data would get
> somewhat skewed, right?

        Perhaps they'll come up with a more advanced system of
monitoring?

        probally the best way to do that is to track the download speed
either with cookies (with subnet info) or by subnet only to determine
the best localization.

        With an imperfect system of tracking localization, you will
get imperfect results.
I'm not sure about other implementations, but our Akamai boxes in our datacenter receive all traffic requests which originate from our address space as predefined with Akamai. I believe they also somehow factor in address space announcements originated via our AS as well since they asked for our AS when we originally started working with them.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." - Francis Jeffrey