Re: Fun new policy at AOL

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 06:12:35 2003

> I just looked on their website to file a complaint and ask how they
> determined what was dynamic and what was static and couldn't find a
> contact email address. I did find the following statement:
> "AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use
> dynamically assigned IP addresses."
>
> It was on the following page:
> http://postmaster.info.aol.com/standards.html

Whoa.. thats crazy. Obviously its an effort to stop relay forwarding from cable
modem and DSL customers but there are *lots* of legitimate smtp servers sitting
on customer sites on dynamic addresses.

I've numerous customers I can think of straight away who use setups such a
MS Exchange on dynamic addresses where they poll POP3 boxes and send their own
SMTP!