Re: Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

  • From: Brian Dickson
  • Date: Thu Aug 28 03:59:40 2003
  • Phone: +1 604 688 2339

Various war-story authors wrote:
> > My experience is a 40% damage rate when shipping Cisco 7507
> >  and 7513 routers via FedEx Heavy.  Here are some pictures from back
> >  when I was at AboveNet: http://www.seastrom.com/fedex/
> >
> >You aren't alone:
> >http://www.16paws.com/FedEx/
>
> Although this is a small item, I believe it wins the contest for "Most thoroughly damaged shipment".
> http://colofinder.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album18

While I sadly no longer have the image, sometimes words paint a more
vivid picture...

We had a 7505 which could have won, simultaneously, awards for:
    "Most Blantant Disregard For Shipment Contents"
    "Least Excusible or Fathomable Damage Mode"
    "Failure To Note Packing Material Damage - Outstand Achievement"
    "Shipper Rules Weaseling - Special Mention"
    "Vendor Sudden Observance Of Fine Print"
    "One *Tough* Box"

We shipped the 7507 in its original packing material, including crimped
straps, to a colo site. The site contact received it, signed for it, and
discarded the packing material, all without noticing the damage.

What damage, you ask?

UPS had driven a forklift tine through its side. As in, straight in,
through packing material, and *pierced* the chassis, right in the center
of the side, ie into the card cage.

Without the packing material, UPS wouldn't pay damages. Cisco
wouldn't RMA the chassis. Not a pleasant situation at all.

However, the router only had a couple of cards, which were installed
(luckily) next to the power supplies, and at the opposite end from the
gaping 3/4" x 2.5" hole.

The site tech suggested seeing if it would boot. Sure enough, it did.
And ran fine. And to the best of my knowledge, is still in service.

It's a good thing the airflow wasn't too badly disrupted by the hole.

It's the last time we used UPS...
--
Brian Dickson                                  Email: [email protected]
http://www.cineclix.com                        Tel  : +1 604 688 2339